We are, without a doubt, “Greek yogurt people.” If there’s one item that’s consistently on my grocery list each week and one item that always fills our refrigerator shelves, it’s Greek yogurt. We can (and have been known to) literally consume it for almost every meal. The hubby brings the flavored single-serve containers to work every day for breakfast, I like the plain variety with honey and berries for breakfast/snack, but my favorite way to use Greek yogurt is in recipes and baking. Who knew that yogurt could replace butter, oil, sour cream, heavy cream, cream cheese, mayo…you name it, you could probably swap it out with Greek yogurt and save yourself the fat and calories…plus get an added protein boost! Seriously, what did we DO before Greek yogurt was invented? The stuff is ridiculously versatile – it lightens up the most decadent of baked goods, it’s amazing on its own or with fruit/granola mixed in, and, in the case of this recipe, it turns everyday sauces into creamy deliciousness.
This is one hearty dish that just happens to be vegetarian! The sweet caramelized onions balance out the meatiness of the mushrooms. Spinach adds protein, calcium, fiber and that deliciously leafy green color. The sauce is just to-die-for…sweet and tart balsamic vinegar and crisp white wine swirled together with a dollop of thick, creamy Greek yogurt. A sauce that’s both creamy AND packed with protein? Winning combination! I was craving a long pasta so I used fettuccine, but you could substitute with your favorite whole wheat or gluten-free pasta (short or long). Another recipe that’s perfect for meatless Monday!
Creamy balsamic mushroom pasta
Yield: 4 servings | Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
12 ounces fettuccini* (plain, whole wheat, etc.)
*for gluten-free diets, use packaged gluten-free pasta
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
8 oz sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
2 cups baby spinach
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
Salt/pepper to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
1. Boil water in a medium pot and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
2. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and add onions, sautéing over medium heat until they turn translucent and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms to pan and sauté until browned on both sides.
4. Add spinach to pan and cover until spinach wilts. Remove cover and sauté to mix.
5. Turn heat down to low and add balsamic vinegar, white wine and Greek yogurt to mushroom mixture, stirring well to mix and warm through then remove from heat.
6. Transfer pasta to pan and toss to mix with veggies and coat with sauce.
7. Serve immediately with salt/pepper and shredded Parmesan cheese, to taste.
Recipe adapted from: Julia’s Album
Photography: Lighten Up Recipes