I’m always coming up with new pizza ideas because, well, who doesn’t love pizza? It’s a quick and easy meal to prepare and we almost always have leftovers, which is just an added bonus! We also love cooking up pizza at home for ‘date night’ — pizza, wine and a movie = a fabulous Friday night!
We had some leftover chicken sausage in the freezer and, knowing the hubby’s love of pepperoni/meatball toppings, I thought this recipe would be a winner. I was so right! There are so many flavors of chicken sausage out there that you could make many different variations of this recipe. I used an apple chicken sausage which had a bit of sweetness to it, so I sautéed up some onions and the combination was absolutely delicious! The sweetness from the onions and sausage balanced out the saltiness of the mozzarella and acidity of the tomato sauce. AND I had leftovers for lunch the next day!
Store-bought pizza dough (I used Boboli thin-crust), could use gluten-free dough
2 links chicken sausage, flavor of your choice (I used Apple-Chardonnay flavored)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/3 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
1/3 to 1/2 cup jarred marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cut chicken sausage links into 1/2-inch slices, add to pan and cook on medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
3. Remove chicken sausage from pan and set aside on a plate. Spray pan with more cooking spray and add onion, sauteing until onion pieces are translucent.
4. Spread marinara sauce on pizza dough with a large spoon, leaving a 1-inch border.
5. Top with mozzarella, chicken sausage and onion.
6. Place pizza directly on the middle oven rack (you can place a cookie sheet on the lower rack to catch any toppings) and bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are browned.
7. Using an oven mitt, remove pizza from oven by sliding it onto a large cutting board. Cut into slices using a pizza cutter.
Recipe: Lighten Up Recipes
Photography: Lighten Up Recipes