Penne a la vodka used to be one of my all-time favorite Italian restaurant menu items to order. I say “used to” because while it’s so rich, creamy and insanely delicious, it’s also (very unfortunately) insanely high in calories. So, once I found this out, I swore off vodka sauce altogether. Fast forward to the invention of Pinterest…of course I found a creamy tomato pasta recipe reminiscent of penne a la vodka that claimed to get its creaminess from Greek yogurt! Sign me up!
Since we usually have one vegetarian night a week, I thought this would be the perfect sauce for pasta and veggies. I swapped out the penne and shrimp for linguine and dark leafy greens to bump up the “healthy” factor. When you add the protein from the Greek yogurt and whole wheat from the pasta, this is an all-around deliciously good-for-you dish! If you’re gluten-free, just use your favorite packaged gluten-free pasta. The sauce is decadent and creamy, and the hearty veggies add enough bulk and flavor to keep you satisfied, without the meat or fish. Plus, it’s ready in under 30 minutes — another weeknight dinner recipe to add to your collection!
12 oz linguine (whole wheat)*
*for gluten-free diets, use packaged gluten-free pasta
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium tomato, chopped
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 bunch kale, washed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2 bunch Swiss chard, washed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup jarred tomato sauce
1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
Shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
1. Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Over low-medium heat, add red pepper flakes and garlic, saute until fragrant.
3. Add mushrooms to pan, leaving them for 3-4 minutes until brown, then flipping to brown the other side.
4. Add tomatoes and onion to pan, sauteing until onions become translucent.
5. Add kale and Swiss chard to pan, mixing with veggie mixture. Place lid on pan to wilt the greens, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, boil water in a medium pot and cook pasta according to package directions, draining and returning pasta to pot.
7. Over low heat, add tomato sauce and Greek yogurt to tomato/greens mixture, mixing well to combine.
8. Transfer pasta from pot to pan, tossing to combine with sauce and veggies. Heat until warm and transfer to serving bowls. Top with 1 Tbsp Parmesan per serving, if desired.
Recipe adapted from: Back To Her Roots
Photography: Lighten Up Recipes