New lunch idea alert! Bored of the same old salad or sandwich for lunch every day? I know I am. There are only so many salad combinations that I can come up with each week! Who knew that mixing avocado and chick peas could result in such a delicious protein?! Avocado chick pea smash is a fantastic substitute for those heavy mayo-laden salads that we typically see at lunchtime – tuna salad and egg salad. In this case, the chick peas provide the protein while creamy avocado steps in nicely for the mayo. Protein + healthy fat = lunchtime winner! Not to mention that this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian!
No fancy equipment needed! I start by smashing the chick peas in a bowl with the back of a fork. Press the fork down and against the sides of the bowl to crush the chick peas. You’ll end up with a chunky mixture of chick peas.
Make sure the avocado is perfectly ripe — the skin should be dark in color and soft when you squeeze it. Slice up your avocado and use the same back-of-the-fork technique to smash the avocado, stopping to mix the chick peas and avocado until well combined.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice at the end to ensure that the avocado doesn’t turn brown and season with salt and black pepper to taste. You can mix in some crumbled Feta for additional flavor — totally optional, but the cheese adds a little extra tang that’s so delicious! Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I love to put a scoop in the middle of my green salad or spread it on whole-wheat toast. The chickpea avocado smash is also great in wraps mixed with deli-style turkey or salad greens. See my tips for packing a healthy lunch here!
Chickpea Avocado Smash
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 5 mins | Total time: 15 mins
1 15-oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 ripe avocado
2-3 Tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
Salt/black pepper to taste
1-2 Tbsp crumbled Feta cheese (optional; omit for vegan, dairy-free diets)
1. Place drained and rinsed chick peas into a bowl and mash with the back of a fork. Consistency should be slightly chunky.
2. Cut avocado in half length-wise and remove the pit. Using an avocado slicer or a large spoon, scoop out the avocado from both halves. Slice avocado then add to the chick pea mixture.
3. Using the back of a fork, mash the avocado into the chick pea mixture until slightly chunky and well-combined.
4. Mix in lime juice and salt/pepper to taste; mix in crumbled Feta (optional)
5. Serve as a topping for salad or as a wrap/sandwich filler
Recipe adapted from: Blender Babes
Photography: Lighten Up Recipes