This may be my favorite single-serve dessert recipe EVER thanks to the serious ooey-gooey factor of this molten chocolate lava mug cake. I only wished I had more of it, but I guess that’s the magic of single-serve…built-in portion control! I was home on a rainy afternoon and I needed a quick afternoon snack. Okay, maybe this wasn’t the healthiest snack choice, but I just happened to have every ingredient for this recipe in my pantry…I love when that happens! If you don’t feel like having an entire pan of brownies in the house, these mug cakes are the answer. Sweet, gooey, fudgy and I even swapped out some of the ingredients to lighten up the recipe! PLUS, they’re made in the microwave. That means you can have your very own molten chocolate lava mug cake all to yourself in under 5 minutes…now that’s dangerous!
Because I’ve been on a coconut oil/coconut sugar kick (see these coconut oil/sugar gluten-free brownies), I swapped out the egg, butter, and granulated sugar for Greek yogurt, coconut oil, and coconut palm sugar. Since there’s no egg in the recipe, you can microwave (aka “bake”) the mug cake as much or as little as you’d like. Less microwaving means more gooeyness in the center. I microwaved mine for about 1 minute 30 seconds, until the edges were set but the middle was a gooey, almost pudding-like consistency. Absolute dessert perfection! Be sure to let the mug cake cool for a few minutes before you dig in to the warm, chocolatey deliciousness!
Molten Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
Yield: 1 serving | Serving Size = 1 mug cake
Prep time: 3 mins | Cook time: 2 mins | Total time: 5 mins
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp coconut palm sugar (or granulated sugar)
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or butter or margarine)
1 heaping Tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp chocolate chips, divided
1. Place coconut oil in a mug and microwave for 10-15 seconds until melted.
2. Add baking powder, brown sugar and coconut sugar to mug and mix until combined.
3. Add vanilla, flour, cocoa powder and Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
4. Stir in 1 Tbsp chocolate chips and place 1 tsp chocolate chips in a little pile in the center of the mug (see photo above).
5. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals for 1-2 minutes until cake is desired texture. I microwaved mine for 90 seconds, when the edges were set and the middle was gooey.
6. Carefully remove mug from microwave and let cool for several minutes. It will be HOT!
Recipe adapted from: Crazy For Crust
Photography: Lighten Up Recipes