Pasta is definitely up there on my list of quick and comforting meals, but what if you could eat a bowl full of “pasta” with only a fraction of the calories? My latest (and new favorite) kitchen gadget makes it possible — the veggie spiralizer. This recipe was my first attempt at spiralizing for a main course and I was THRILLED with the results. The gadget creates beautifully curly ribbons of veggies that can be cooked in no time.
I used the “thick” side of the spiralizer to get linguine-type noodles and I used two zucchinis since this was a main dish, but one would work for a side dish. No peeling required, I just washed the zucchinis and spiralized them, then patted out the excess water on a paper towel.
I cooked the noodles in a pan with olive oil and garlic, then sprinkled some Italian seasoning into the pan. The noodles cook really quickly, in about 5-7 minutes, and that’s IT! Way faster than traditional pasta and no need to boil water! Not to mention that this dish is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and a totally fun way to add more veggies to your diet.
I mixed my zucchini noodles with a little bit of margarine and topped with Parmesan cheese. Fantastic as a quick weeknight meal or side dish, and it can be bulked up with your choice of protein. I’m so obsessed with my new kitchen toy that you can definitely expect many more spiralized recipes in the future!
Spiralized Italian-style Zucchini Noodles
Yield: 2 servings | Serving Size = 1/2 of recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Total time: 20 mins
1-2 medium-sized zucchinis
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 tsp Italian seasoning (or a mixture of dried thyme, oregano, basil)
1-2 tsp margarine (or butter/coconut oil)
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping, optional
1. Wash zucchinis and dry using paper towel
2. Spiralize zucchinis on the ‘thick’ setting and collect noodles on a sheet of paper towel. Blot to remove excess moisture.
3. Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and add garlic to the pan. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add zucchini noodles to pan. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until slightly browned and warmed through.
5. Add Italian seasoning to pan and toss noodles to coat.
6. Once cooked, transfer zucchini noodles to serving bowls. Mix in margarine and top with Parmesan cheese.