When the hubby and I come home from work, I usually ask him two questions:
1. “How was your day?” — generic, I know, and the answer is usually “busy”
2. “What did you have for lunch?” — this one gets a mixed response, ranging from egg salad to pulled pork sandwich to chicken and rice bowl.
Oh, the luxury of eating lunch in New York City every day. It’s something I’ve never experienced since I’ve been bringing lunch to my suburban office, well, forever. I’m not sure I would know what to do with all those food options! I realized that I really only order decadent lunches when I’m on vacation, and a chicken club sandwich is always at the top of my list. Maybe it’s the REAL bacon or the REAL mayo they use in the Caribbean, but that sandwich always tastes better when it’s ordered at the swim-up pool bar!
Since chicken seems to be our dinner protein of choice more often than not, I’m always trying to come up with creative chicken recipes. This time, I decided to bring the “chicken club sandwich” to our chicken dinner, thanks to fresh avocado, sweet tomato, smoky turkey bacon and creamy pesto drizzle. It tastes just like the real thing, minus the bread!
I baked the chicken, but you could easily throw it on the grill or grill pan. Roughly chop the topping ingredients, whip up the sauce, and you’ve got a light and easy weeknight meal that’s incredibly tasty!
Chicken Club-style Chicken
Yield: 2 servings | Serving Size = 1/2 of recipe
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Total time: 40 mins
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, roughly chopped
1 small tomato (or 1/2 a medium/large tomato), roughly chopped
3 slices turkey bacon
2 Tbsp Pesto (store-bought or homemade — see my recipe)
1 Tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp light mayonnaise
1-2 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray
3. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and season with salt/pepper
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until juices run clear and chicken is completely cooked through
5. Place turkey bacon on a paper-towel-lined microwave-safe plate and microwave for 1 to 1 and 1/2 minutes on high, until crispy. Crumble turkey bacon into bite-sized pieces once cooked completely.
6. Prepare drizzle by mixing pesto, Greek yogurt and mayo in a small prep bowl, adding 1 tsp of water at a time until the consistency is thin enough to drizzle with a spoon
7. To assemble, place chicken on a plate then drizzle with pesto sauce and top with avocado, tomato, and crumbled turkey bacon